National Registration Identity Card (NIRC)

National Registration Identity Card (NRIC) is the identity document issued to every Singapore citizen and a permanent resident in Singapore by the Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA). The NRIC number is a unique alphanumeric serial number assigned to the document.

NRIC is subjected to PDPA and therefore, it is inappropriate to ask for the NRIC of an individual, subject to a certain exemption under PDPA. NRIC should not be retained and must be requested to verify the identity of that individual.

When setting up a company in Singapore, a local resident can use their NRIC for incorporation. For foreigners, they will need to provide their passport details during incorporation.

When can you apply for a National Registration Identity Card (NRIC)?

Every Singapore citizen and PR is required to apply for an NRIC when they turn 15 years of age (before their 16th birthday). The ID needs to be renewed when the individual reaches the age of 30 years and again when they turn 55 years unless they have been issued with a replacement IC within the last 10 years.

Documents Required

You need to submit the following original documents and their official translations (in case the documents are not in English) in the form of digital images along with the online application through ICA’s e-Service upon receiving the notification from them.

For Singapore Citizens:

  • Baptism or religious certificate to include a religious name.
  • Deed poll for a change of name.
  • Marriage certificate (if you want to include your married name).
  • Recent passport-sized colored photograph taken within the last three months.

For Singapore Permanent Residents (PR):

  • The page(s) of the current passport containing all personal particulars.
  • Marriage certificate (if you want to include your married name).
  • Recent passport-sized color photograph taken within the last three months.

If you are applying for an NRIC for the first time, you would have to register your biometrics as well. If you attend government schools or government-aided schools, biometrics enrolment will be done at schools on a designated day. Otherwise, you would have to make an appointment to do it in person at the ICA Building after completing the online application.